“To me, photography is an art of observation. It’s about finding something interesting in an ordinary place… I’ve found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.” – Elliott Erwitt

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day or night?


I came across this article on Improve Photography and wanted to try the shot that extremely underexposes the background while exposing the person. Guess who was my model? You guessed it!!

 
 
I don’t think that it came out too badly, even if it looks like it was taken in the night and not a studio shot, and this photo was relatively easy to get. What I forgot to get was a shot that showed that we were actually in light. Not extreme daylight but evening light. I’ll try to do this again as soon as I can convince D to let me photography him again.
 
How did I do this? Simple. 
 
You want to underexpose and how you do that is to let as little light in as possible. Fast shutter speed. Small aperture. Low ISO.
 
Set your camera to Manual.
Set your ISO to the lowest possible – for me that is 100
Close down your aperture - meaning as big of a number as you can go. For this lens that was f22.
 
The last piece of the triangle is shutter speed. Remember that you want to underexpose so that the background is black but your subject is exposed. To do that you need to use your flash. Now, when using an external flash you can your set your shutter speed so fast – flash sync. For my camera that’s a flash speed of 200.
 
ISO 100, f22, with a shutter speed of 200!! And it’s that easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment